- No exhibitions this week.
- Maybe I’m getting the hang of not working, mostly just hung out and slept, exercised, read.
- Although I ended up in Dalston twice for work-adjacent reasons. Both projects feel lowkey and fun, not “work” work though.
- Ella sent me this James Ellroy interview last week which is brilliant for lots of reasons, but especially discovering that he’s reading Daniel Silva’s books
They concern an art restorer who is an agent for Mossad, Israel’s secret service. ‘It’s a preposterous combination of trades’ Ellroy says.
James Ellroy interviewed by Leo Robson in 1843 Magazine
- So I’ve been reading my first Daniel Silva thriller. Very pulpy great fun. Yep the protagonist almost overthrows the Syrian regime after discovering clues in a painting, what of it?
- Also, the head of Mossad (in the book lol) openly blames wealth inequality for causing interest in islamic extremism. So I’m sort of here for the politics too.
- Picked up one of those AA Public Programme posters 1 I linked to last week. Turns out the AA Bookshop sells John Le Carre books now because the culture I guess.
- Last night I picked up GTA5 2 for the first time since visiting LA last year, did a little walking around. Kept finding all these places we remembered from being there “oh shit this is the restaurant car park we used when we went for a walk around the marina!” “wait this the park we played in with my little second cousin!” and so on.
- Obviously it’s nothing close to an exact recreation of LA, but amazing how the Rockstar creative team consistently nail the feel of a city the way they do.
- Might as well wrap up with this from @scenicpasture yesterday
they only call it class war when you fight back
@scenicpasture on Twitter